SEPTEMBER 10, 1924 – OCTOBER 17, 1989
This monument marks the former campus of St. Joseph’s College. Established with the primary purpose of training candidates for Catholic Priesthood, the college also educated thousands of young men who entered public service throughout this county and the state. Named after St. Joseph of Cupertino (Italy) the large, ornate building was architecturally designed to reflect California’s early Spanish influences. Between 5,000-6,000 young men attended the college until it was destroyed in the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake.