Preserved at this location through the generosity of the Thomas R. Bettencourt Endowment Fund.
Born in Germany, Adolph Greeninger came to San Jose in 1865. Starting with practically no means at the age of 23, Mr. Greeninger worked tirelessly at his trade of carriage painting, eventually co-founding the Globe Carriage Factory. The two-story structure on West San Fernando Street was an impressive enterprise that employed many local citizens.
After establishing himself as a successful businessman, Mr. Greeninger became actively involved [in] local government. He was a member of the San Jos? City Council for six years and served on the county Board of Supervisors for twelve years. A husband and father of five, Mr. Greeninger also ardently supported the fire department and held different positions up to that of President of the Board of Delegates. In addition, he served as a Director of Agnews State Hospital.
In 1903, Mr. Greeninger built this house for his family at the corner of Balbach and Orchard Streets in San Jos?. After more than 100 years, the house was moved and restored in 2007 to become part of the Community Youth Center that stands before you today.